An experienced trial attorney, Edward J. Nuttall has received Martindale Hubbell’s highest rating of “AV Preeminent” in the areas of Criminal Law, Litigation, and Family Law. Mr. Nuttall has been named as one of the Top 100 Criminal Defense Attorneys in Virginia by the National Trial Lawyers Association and a Top Criminal Defense Attorney and Personal Injury Attorney by Northern Virginia Magazine and Washingtonian Magazine.
Mr. Nuttall has tried civil and criminal cases throughout the Commonwealth of Virginia. His experience as a prosecutor has allowed him to build a successful criminal practice, with experience trying cases ranging from misdemeanor and traffic matters, including DUI, reckless driving, and domestic assault to serious felonies including sex crimes, larcenies, financial crimes, and violent crimes. Mr. Nuttall is also an experienced civil litigator, focusing on personal injury matters and divorce, child support, child custody, and visitation matters. Mr. Nuttall is a recognized authority on police use of force issues in Virginia, having represented law enforcement in over twenty police shooting cases since 2002, serving as General Counsel to the Fraternal Order of Police Fairfax Lodge 77. In addition, Mr. Nuttall lectures at Continuing Legal Education Courses and has taught at the Fairfax County Criminal Justice Academy.
Mr. Nuttall is an active member of Autism Speaks, a national advocacy group, where he sits on the Board of Directors, serves on the Sponsorship and Community Outreach Committees, and serves as Chairman of the National Capital Area Autism Speaks 5K.
Areas of Practice
- Catholic University School of Law, J.D., 1996
- Catholic University, B.A., 1990
- Virginia, 1996
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Virginia, 1996
- United States Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit, 1996
Awards & Associations
- President, Virginia Autism Project
- Chairman, Autism Speaks Potomac 5K
- Former Member of the Board of Directors, Autism Speaks National Capital Area
- Former President, Fraternal Order of Police Associates
- Virginia Trial Lawyers Association
- Martindale Hubbell AV Pre-Eminent Rating 2020
- Martindale Hubbell Silver Client Champion 2020
- Super Lawyers 2020
- Top 100 Trial Lawyers
- Northern Virginia Magazine Top Lawyers
- Washingtonian Magazine Top Lawyers