Fairfax Family Law Attorney
Helping Families Find Equitable Solutions to Divorce, Custody, Alimony & More
Your marriage coming to an end is wrought with emotional and financial turmoil, and these feelings are further amplified when children are involved. During this critical time, decisions made emotionally can have lasting and unintended consequences on a family.
No matter what the circumstances of the divorce are, it is vitally important to both you and your children’s future to learn your rights under the law in the Commonwealth of Virginia. Seek the advice of our competent and compassionate family lawyers in Fairfax at Carroll & Nuttall, PLLC. We have over 90 years of experience to put towards your divorce case.
We help families throughout Fairfax and surrounding areas resolve domestic relation issues, including divorce and child custody disputes, and are available for same-day appointments. Call now: (703) 952-5801 or contact online.
Understanding Your Rights Under Virginia Domestic Relations Law
In the area of domestic relations law, knowledge is power. Individuals who gain this knowledge early in the process, are more likely to guide the direction of their case—resulting in greater control over the outcome. While the majority of domestic relations cases are resolved without protracted litigation, all settlements should be grounded in the protection afforded to individuals under the custody and equitable distribution laws of the Commonwealth of Virginia.
Therefore, whether you use mediation or litigation to address your family’s situation, it is critical that you are fully acquainted with your rights. Our Fairfax divorce attorneys will help make this process as straightforward as possible and answer any questions you may have.
If you have been blindsided by divorce, it can leave you emotionally and legally vulnerable. It is important to engage a legal advocate who will protect your rights and your children’s best interest as soon as possible. Having a Fairfax attorney review any document prior to signing is essential to ensure you are safeguarded. Additionally, you should understand that the Commonwealth of Virginia has procedures that allow a party to seek and obtain support quickly in order to protect the immediate needs of the family and children.
Even when your goal is to reach an amicable resolution, you must first understand your rights. Every family law case is unique and it is important to find an attorney who will listen to the path that led you to their office and is committed to working with you to develop a roadmap that helps you achieve your goals. Because all domestic relations law issues are emotional, it is equally important that you share your passion for your family, so that your divorce attorney can zealously advocate for you in a cost-effective manner.
How to Prepare for Your First Meeting with a Family Law Attorney
Our Fairfax family law attorneys want you to feel as comfortable as possible during this trying time, which is why we always treat you with compassion and understanding—laying out the entire process from start to finish.
Before your first meeting, review the following steps:
- Find an Attorney who is committed to spending the time to inform you about the laws in the Commonwealth of Virginia at the initial consultation. Your first consultation should give you an understanding of the legal process.
- Prepare a Short Narrative of your marriage, children, and path that led you to their office. Unique facts about your family are important.
- Convey Relevant Information to the attorney about your child/children and their best interest. Let your divorce attorney know about a child’s health issues, IEPs, or other disabilities. The goal is to engage in a course of action that has the least impact on your children.
- Provide Information Regarding Your Spouse’s Gross Income if available, as well as the cost of health insurance for the children, and work-related child-care costs, bring it with you. A child support attorney can compute the child support guideline worksheet for you, so you know the amount of child support you may expect.
- Bring a List of Your Assets and Liabilities so the attorney can provide you with information specific to your case. If you do not have a complete understanding of your marital estate, know that you are not alone. Many clients are not fully acquainted with what makes up their marital estate, and the role of an attorney is to help develop that evidence.
- Be Prepared to Discuss the Monetary and Nonmonetary Contributions that you and your spouse have made to the well-being of the family and the marital estate. This information is relevant evidence that only you can provide.
- Write Down Any Questions You Have Beforehand so you do not forget to ask them. Understand that the legal process can take many forms, so there may not be an absolute answer. However, knowing your options moving forward will help you guide the direction of your family law case.
- Articulate your Goals so the family law attorney can help you develop a realistic short- and long-term strategy to achieve them and protect you and your children.
Contact Carroll & Nuttall, PLLC for Family Law Services in Fairfax & Surrounding Areas
Empower yourself with both knowledge about the law and a legal advocate who will listen and guide you through the process. Being educated and engaged at the onset will help you build a new foundation for your family and their future. Whether you are seeking legal advice and guidance on child custody issues, divorce proceedings, or child or spousal support challenges, our Fairfax family lawyers will fight for your best interests.