Understanding Personal Injury Law
Under personal injury or “tort” law, personal injury cases seek to right wrongs caused by torts. A tort is any act or omission that gives rise to injury or harm to another, and courts typically impose liability using the theory of negligence. Negligence is the legal term for carelessness and applies when someone violates their duty of care to another.
To prove negligence, plaintiffs (the people filing the personal injury claim), must show:
- The defendant (person or party being sued) owed them a duty of care
- The defendant breached this duty
- They were injured
- The plaintiff’s injury is a result of the defendant’s breach
Proving negligence in a car accident claim could be as simple as showing a defendant caused a crash that led to the plaintiff’s injuries while texting and driving or otherwise behaving carelessly. Nevertheless, defense attorneys and insurance companies will try to create doubt and bring liability into question in all kinds of personal injury claims.
That’s why you need our Fairfax plaintiffs’ attorneys on your side.
Cases We Handle
Personal injury cases are appropriate in a wide range of situations.
Below are some of the circumstances that our lawyers have handled:
- Nursing home abuse – when your loved one is abused or neglected, we help find the liable parties and hold them accountable. Nursing home abuse is serious and can significantly reduce an individual’s lifespan. Our attorneys respond with the appropriate gravity.
- Motor vehicle accidents – we handle car, truck, and motorcycle accidents, all of which can result in serious injuries and lifelong consequences. When a negligent driver harms you, we are ready to help.
- Medical malpractice – you trust medical professionals to help you feel better, but what happens when they harm you or make things worse? Our lawyers step in when doctors, nurses, and other providers fail to uphold the standard of care.
- Wrongful death – Nothing is more painful than losing a loved one. The situation only becomes worse when someone else’s negligence is to blame. Our team at Carroll & Nuttall, PLLC will help you seek the justice you deserve.
- Premises liability – from slip and fall cases to security issues, we are here for you whenever you get hurt on someone else’s property. Home and business owners are responsible for keeping you safe. We hold them accountable.
- Product liability – from car parts to medical devices, defective products can cause a lot of harm. If you are injured, made ill, or bereaved, trust our attorneys to help you recover.
- Workers’ compensation – resolving workplace accidents and injuries should be straightforward, but the workers’ comp system doesn’t always work as intended. We can help you recover under your company policy or pursue a third-party negligence claim.
If you’ve been injured by someone else’s negligence and don’t see your situation listed above, simply give us a call. As civil litigation attorneys, we can handle legal matters of every shape and size and answer all the questions and concerns you may have.
As a representative of the injured party, we must prove that the other party or practice owed you a duty of care. Plaintiffs often have duties to:
- Maintain control of a vehicle
- Administer medical treatment within the established standard of care
- Maintain a safe place of business for customers
- Manufacture safe products
Attorneys at Carroll & Nuttall, PLLC work tirelessly to uncover the facts in each client’s case and prove negligence. We work with a team of medical, safety, and accident reconstruction experts and gather all relevant evidence and documentation in your case. With our diverse legal experiences and the expert opinions we seek out, we estimate what your personal injury claim is worth and make demands accordingly.
As skillful negotiators, we fight for your rights and help ensure you receive just compensation. While we prepare each case as if we were proceeding to trial, most personal injury cases settle outside of court. Rest assured that we encourage our clients to refuse settlement offers that fall short of what we believe they should receive. As experienced litigators, we are perfectly comfortable in the courtroom and are adamant about fighting for your rights.
From the moment we agree to take on your personal injury case, you can rely on Carroll & Nuttall, PLLC to fight for your rights in state and federal courts.
We serve Northern Virginia and are located just steps from the Fairfax County Courthouse.